MIAMI -- Accolades keep piling up for Jose Fernandez.
A day after being named to the National League All-Star team, the Marlins rookie spent some time talking to Hall of Fame pitcher Don Sutton.
Sutton, who pitched 23 years in the big leagues, is a Braves radio analyst who passed along some advice to Fernandez.
"He told me something really important," said Fernandez, who turns 21 on July 31. "He told me, 'Worry about one pitch at a time. Don't worry about throwing nine innings. Worry about throwing one pitch at a time. That's how you're going to be successful.'
"To hear it from that guy, who has been in the big leagues 23 years, that's incredible. Amazing things keep happening."
Fernandez is the youngest Marlins player ever selected to the All-Star Game. The rookie has tremendous passion for the game, and when he learned he was going to meet a Hall of Fame pitcher ...
"I looked up all his career numbers," Fernandez said. "I looked at everything. Incredible."
Sutton echoes the praise.
"I told him, make one good pitch, because that was Greg Maddux's philosophy," Sutton said. "He said, 'I don't try to win ballgames. I keep trying to make one good pitch.'
"I really enjoyed talking to Jose. I think he is an old soul pitching-wise. I think he has an awareness. I think the way we teach kids now, and the way we coach young kids, we stifle a lot of the little voice inside kids who know how to pitch and know how to hit when they're 12, 13 and 14. We stifle them with limitations and structure."
Fernandez defected from Cuba at age 15 and is in the big leagues five years later.
"No. 1, he's paid his dues as a human being," Sutton said. "You can't ask for anything more out of him. When you listen to him talk, I hear a young man with a 15-year veteran's passion for the game, with his discipline and his desire to be good. To me, that's refreshing.
"I've been watching him. I'll keep an eye on him because, obviously, I want my team to win. But I want anybody who has a passion and a love for our game to do well. So I will want him to have a great career. I told him, 'I hope you have as much fun playing this game as I did.'"
Stanton downplays being bypassed for Derby
MIAMI -- Injury prevented Giancarlo Stanton from participating in the 2012 All-Star Game, as well as the Home Run Derby.
In an injury-marred first half, Stanton hasn't posted All-Star-worthy numbers, but his power presence remains one of the best in the game. That's why the Marlins were quietly hopeful the 23-year-old slugger would be selected to the 2013 Chevrolet Home Run Derby, set for next Monday at Citi Field.
But National League Home Run Derby captain David Wright of the Mets made his selections on Monday, and Stanton was bypassed.
"Whatever," Stanton said when asked on Tuesday about not be picked. "On to the next one."
Wright selected Bryce Harper (Nationals), Carlos Gonzalez and Michael Cuddyer (both Rockies) to the NL squad.
It hasn't been a vintage first half for Stanton, who is batting .246 with eight home runs and 22 RBIs. Stanton missed all of May with a strained right hamstring. And in 2012, when he was picked to participate, he underwent right knee surgery the day before the Home Run Derby, which was in Kansas City.
"I told myself, I had to earn the All-Star Game to be in the Derby, which I did last year," Stanton said.
Stanton clearly would have liked to participate, if asked.
Not picking Stanton, according to Miami first baseman Logan Morrison, is a loss for fans and those who enjoy seeing tape-measured home runs.
"I've seen the guy hit homers every day in batting practice," Morrison said. "Obviously, I'd like to have seen him go. Again, the world gets to miss out on what he can really do. I'm not saying any of the other guys aren't worthy. But I've seen how far he hits them. If I could put money on it, and he was in it, I'd bet the farm on him."
Marlins manager Mike Redmond also is partial to his right fielder, especially after Stanton was unable to attend the All-Star festivities a year ago.
"You always feel for a guy that wasn't able to participate and he got hurt," Redmond said. "I'm sure it would have been nice for him to get back there, but at the same time, too, he'd probably say he'd enjoy the break. It's been probably a stressful and taxing time on everyone. He's been banged up.
"The first few months probably didn't go as he anticipated. I think it will be good for everybody to go out there, clear their minds, go out there and relax and get ready for a second-half push."
Stanton poses nude in ESPN the Magazine
MIAMI -- Giancarlo Stanton is rarely seen without the signature orange sleeve he wears on his right arm. However, he's missing more than the sleeve in a series of photos recently released in ESPN the Magazine's latest version of The Body Issue.
Stanton is one of 21 athletes who posed nude and answered questions about his body and exercise habits for ESPN. Stanton and Mets pitcher Matt Harvey are the only MLB players featured.
Stanton has yet to see all of the photos.
"It was fun," Stanton said. "It was interesting. It was about eight hours straight. You can't eat much. Then you'd get a little bloated."
Stanton's photos included shots of the slugger being splashed with water, painted gold from head to toe, holding a bat above his head and carrying a large globe in a pose inspired by character Atlas of Greek mythology.
"We did a lot of different stuff," Stanton said. "The paint is what I liked the best, actually."
Marlins manager Mike Redmond saw select photos of Stanton released by ESPN online Tuesday morning. When it comes to posing nude, Redmond is glad the focus centers on the players rather than the manager.
"It would have been a lot tougher to [Photoshop] me," Redmond said. "It would have taken a lot longer to touch me up."
Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. He writes a blog, called The Fish Pond. Follow him on Twitter @JoeFrisaro. Joe Morgan is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.