NEW YORK -- When Mets manager Terry Collins steps back in the dugout for his fourth season with the club next year, he will do so with a familiar cast of characters by his side. The Mets are expected to invite back all six of their big league coaches, according to a source.
Pitching coach Dan Warthen, hitting coach Dave Hudgens, first-base coach Tom Goodwin, third-base coach Tim Teufel, bench coach Bob Geren and bullpen coach Ricky Bones are all expected to receive offers to return. All have been on Collins' coaching staff for at least the past two seasons.
Assuming all six accept their contract offers, that leaves no obvious openings for Triple-A Las Vegas manager Wally Backman, who otherwise would have been a candidate to join the staff. General manager Sandy Alderson said last week that if no big league roles came available, he would invite Backman back to manage Vegas.
Warthen, the Mets' longest-tenured coach, joined the staff alongside former manager Jerry Manuel in 2008. Mets pitchers combined for a 3.77 ERA under his tutelage this year, which was 13th in the league, compared to 4.09 a year ago and 4.19 in 2011.
Hudgens joined the Mets shortly after Collins' hiring in late 2011, quickly implementing his organization-wide philosophies of plate discipline and selective hitting. To that end, the Mets' walk and strikeout totals both increased from 2012, though the team's overall offense has decreased each season since 2011.
The Mets could make an official announcement regarding their coaches as soon as Monday, when they are scheduled to announce Collins' two-year contract extension.
Young wins NL stolen base crown
NEW YORK -- Since he joined the team on June 18 after being traded from the Rockies, Eric Young Jr. has helped stabilize the top of the Mets' lineup. Manager Terry Collins said Young has given the team the type of leadoff hitter it lost when Jose Reyes departed following the 2011 season. In return, the Mets gave Young a chance to play every day after being a part-time player in Colorado.
While he went through some rough patches at the plate, Young immediately injected speed into New York's lineup and became a force on the basepaths. Sunday's accomplishment proved that. With two stolen bases in the Mets' 3-2 win over the Brewers, Young finished the season with 46 steals to win the National League stolen base title.
"You always pride yourself on what your craft is," Young said. "To be recognized as one of the best in your league -- a tremendous honor."
Young singled in the first inning and then stole second and third base to give him two more steals than the Brewers' Jean Segura. Segura, battling a hamstring issue, wasn't in Milwaukee's starting lineup. Young scored on David Wright's sacrifice fly to give the Mets a 1-0 lead.
After the game, Young said he was going to steal the first chance he had.
"I don't think it was a surprise to anybody in the stadium," Young said. "Just glad I got a good jump."
Young is only the second Mets player to earn the NL stolen-base title after Reyes won it in 2005, 2006 and 2007.
Through 57 games with the Rockies, Young stole just eight bases. But in 91 with the Mets, he's swiped 38. Young, who stole 87 bases playing for Class A Asheville in 2006, had never stolen more than 27 in a Major League season.
"Obviously, coming into this situation with the Mets, I didn't know what to expect," Young said. "To be in this position on the last day, I'm thankful."
Collins has always made it clear that when Young's on base, he has the green light to run. That's his game, and the Mets have wanted him to grab the opportunity. Collins said he told Young after Sunday's game that if he had played every day with the Rockies, he would've won the title by 15.
While acknowledging Young has improvements to make in Spring Training to become more of a dynamic offensive player, Collins has lauded how much Young has meant to the Mets' lineup since coming over from Colorado. His stolen-base title affirms Collins' confidence in consistently writing Young's name at the top of the lineup.
"That's a great honor for him," Collins said. "Just really, really excited for him. He certainly deserved it."
Collins news conference set for Monday
NEW YORK -- The Mets will waste no time giving manager Terry Collins his new contract, scheduling a 12 p.m. ET news conference Monday at Citi Field.
The Mets plan to announce that Collins, 64, will receive a two-year extension with a third-year option, according to a source. The deal is reportedly worth slightly north of $1 million per season.
"I've been in baseball for 42 years," Collins said on Saturday. "This is what I do. This is what I enjoy. This is the fun part of the game to compete every night. When you're my age, you walk in there and those guys -- you look around, you hang around them and it keeps you young. So it would be a blast. But we'll wait till the end of the year to smile about it."
• There is still no timetable for Matt Harvey to begin throwing, Collins said on Sunday, though the team hopes Harvey will begin doing so soon. Since announcing his intention to avoid surgery on the partially-torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, Harvey has performed intensive rehab at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan.
• Juan Lagares is the leading candidate to open next season as the Mets' starting center fielder, Collins said. Though Lagares has struggled at the plate, particularly in September, he has impressed with his elite defensive skill set. That includes a rookie franchise-record 15 outfield assists, including one on Sunday.
Anthony DiComo is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @AnthonyDicomo. Chris Iseman is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.