© 2012 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

06/21/12 11:54 PM ET

Loria holds team meeting following sleepless night

BOSTON -- Marlins owner and CEO Jeffrey Loria couldn't sleep after the team's 15-5 loss vs. the Red Sox on Wednesday night and decided he needed to personally speak with the club on Thursday.

The Marlins held a team meeting in the clubhouse before taking batting practice for the series finale vs. the Sox. The meeting lasted roughly 15 minutes.

Nevertheless, Miami lost to Boston, 6-5, on Thursday night to fall to 4-14 in June. The Marlins have lost 13 of their past 15 games.

What did Loria tell his team?

"I wanted them to look back at when they first started discovering that they liked baseball and they discovered that they could play baseball and then they discovered that they could play it really well," Loria said. "And then they could become professionals and what it meant to them, to start thinking about that for a few moments each day.

"I went on from there to talk about this is the best team that I've ever been involved with and that I believed in them and they are capable of doing a lot of successful things this year."

It was the Marlins' second team meeting this month. Manager Ozzie Guillen also held a team meeting during the club's homestand prior to its six-game road trip.

"Like I say, bad teams have meetings and good teams win games," Guillen said. "You have to have meetings when you have to have meetings. I will only have a meeting if I see someone not trying."

So do these meetings actually work?

"To me it doesn't matter," Guillen said. "Maybe for the players, yes. Why not? I look at the meeting as just to try to get them going and make sure everybody is positive and goes about their business the right way."

Loria was calm and collected during the meeting, according to Marlins players.

"It was relaxed," said outfielder Giancarlo Stanton. "We understand what's going on and what we need to do. It's a lot easier said than done right now."

Loria isn't giving up on the team, despite its 33-37 record.

"I'm not angry with anybody," he said. "There are ups and downs in this business. I still have enormous faith in everybody. The talent level is enormous."

But does the team's president believe his message got through to the players?

"Most of them are pretty intelligent. We're very careful about who we bring here. I think they heard," Loria said. "It may resonate with a few guys, it may resonate with many. But eventually they'll think about it. Finally, I can't hit for them, I can't field for them and I can't pitch for them but I do my part."

Marlins add Dunn to 'pen in place of Hatcher

BOSTON -- The Marlins made a roster move in their bullpen on Thursday, recalling Mike Dunn from New Orleans and optioning Chris Hatcher to the Triple-A club.

"We tried to move Dunn here a little bit earlier but his wife had a baby," said manager Ozzie Guillen. "That's the reason we couldn't move him earlier than this."

Dunn's wife gave birth to a son on Saturday in Miami.

He appeared in 12 games with the Marlins earlier this season before being optioned to Triple-A on May 24. With Miami, Dunn had a 9.58 ERA in 12 games with 17 strikeouts in 10 1/3 innings.

In 12 appearances with New Orleans, he was 1-1 with a 4.58 ERA and 24 strikeouts in 17 2/3 innings.

"I was pounding the strike zone and making them swing the bat to make them put it in play instead of before, where I was trying to guide a pitch," Dunn said. "I want to force contact instead of pitch to contact. The whole time I was down there I only had one walk. I was just going right at people, able to finish them off early."

Dunn arrived at Fenway Park around 2:30 p.m. ET on Thursday.

Hatcher was hit hard in a relief appearance in Wednesday's 15-5 loss. The right-hander gave up a grand slam to David Ortiz and a homer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia. He allowed four runs in 1 2/3 innings.

Buck sits out series finale night after cramping

BOSTON -- John Buck was held out of the Marlins lineup on Thursday after leaving Wednesday's game with cramps. With another unseasonably hot day at Fenway Park on tap for the series finale vs. the Red Sox, the catcher was given the day off.

"He's just got cramps, his legs are a little sore," said manager Ozzie Guillen. "He wasn't going to play today no matter what."

Buck was removed in the ninth inning of Wednesday's 15-5 loss after his legs and back cramped.

After he homered over the Green Monster in the seventh inning, Buck felt discomfort in his back. He said he drank two Pedialytes before the game to battle dehydration on a humid day, but still cramped late in the contest.

"If I didn't have that I would have cramped in the fourth inning," Buck said on Thursday. "I feel good now."

Brett Hayes started in Buck's place and hit ninth in Guillen's lineup.

Austin Laymance is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.