09/14/12 10:20 PM ET
No lack of incentive as Marlins close out 2012
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com
After being swept at Philadelphia, the Marlins opened their six-game homestand in position to make things a little bit difficult for Cincinnati.
Miami shortstop Jose Reyes says the team still has plenty of incentive.
"We're trying to win some games," Reyes said. "We're playing hard. We know we don't play too good as a team. We are trying to go out there and show people we still believe in what we have here, in the talent.
"We just need to take it one game at a time and try to finish strong. So we can go into Spring Training with a better feeling."
All areas of the organization are being evaluated at this point, including the front office, manager, coaches and players.
"We need to see where we're at going into the offseason, and see what we need to do to try to make this team better," Reyes said.
Concussion could end Murphy's season early
MIAMI -- A concussion knocked Donnie Murphy out of the game on Wednesday at Philadelphia.
It's possible the Marlins utility infielder will miss the rest of the season, though a final decision has not yet been made as Murphy continues to be evaluated.
"He might be, could be out for the season," manager Ozzie Guillen said on Friday. "That's up in the air. They are going to have to wait a week to do another evaluation and see how he feels. After that, he has to take more time off. I don't expect him to be back."
Because it is September, and rosters expand, teams don't have to officially place players on the disabled list. But had this been before Sept. 1, Murphy would have been placed on the league's seven-day concussion disabled list.
"Oh yeah, no doubt," Guillen said.
With Murphy out, the Marlins on Friday selected the contract of Gil Velazquez, a 32-year-old veteran infielder who is on his second stint with Miami.
To make room on its 40-man roster, Miami transferred Emilio Bonifacio to the 60-day disabled list. Bonifacio had been on the 15-day DL since Aug. 22 with a right knee sprain.
In 110 games with Triple-A New Orleans, Velazquez batted .312 with 15 doubles, a triple, four homers and 42 RBIs.
The Marlins initially called up Velazquez on Aug. 16, and he played in two games at Colorado, going 1-for-8 before being designated for assignment on Aug. 19.
Velazquez, whose wife had a baby recently, was prepared to be home for the season. He was in the process of resting up before leaving in October for winter ball in Mexico.
"I would say it takes a day or two to get the legs going, and go from there," Velazquez said. "I'm not really worried about it. I'm just happy to be here."
Murphy was hurt in the sixth inning on Wednesday at Philadelphia, when he was accidentally struck in the head by Chase Utley on a slide play at third base.
Murphy, batting .205 in 50 games, has been with the Marlins since 2010.
Stanton would gladly represent USA in Classic
MIAMI -- Sometime before the regular season ends, Major League Baseball players expect to be contacted about the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
If Team USA calls Giancarlo Stanton, the Marlins slugger would more than gladly listen.
Asked if he would represent his country at the Classic, Stanton said: "Absolutely. Anything that represents your country is a big deal. It's relatively new. To have that be more popular, or make that more important to people, is ideal."
Stanton, 22, is one of the rising stars in the game.
The slugger has 34 homers in a season he's missed more than a month due to a right knee scope on July 8.
A number of Marlins players are expected to participate in the WBC. Jose Reyes said on Friday that, if asked, he again would play for the Dominican Republic.
Marlins Park also will be a site for WBC games.
Team USA will be managed by Joe Torre.
Stanton has never played for a national team at any level. The fact that he's healthy and productive are reasons why he would gladly play for Team USA.
"You never know how long a career can be, and you want to get that experience," Stanton said. "You never know how your health will be. In three years, something could go wrong. I'm able to do it now, and have no reason not to."
Marlins lowering flags to half-staff due to Libya tragedies
MIAMI -- Tension around the world is hitting home.
In respect to the tragedies in Libya, Major League Baseball has requested all teams lower the American flag to half-staff this weekend.
The Marlins received the memo about 30 minutes before Friday night's game against the Reds at Marlins Park.
On Saturday and Sunday, the American flag at Marlins Park will be lowered. The flag is located beyond the wall in left-center fielder, next to the Home Run sculpture.
"As everyone else in baseball, our thoughts and prayers are with those families affected by these tragedies," said P.J. Loyello, the Marlins senior vice president of communications and broadcasting.
Late Tuesday, the U.S. ambassador to Libya -- along with three others -- was killed, and there have been protests outside the U.S. embassies.