03/11/2013 2:37 PM ET
Sanabia and Hand among nine roster cuts
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com
JUPITER, Fla. -- You can trim two more candidates off the list for the Marlins' fifth-starter spot, as Alex Sanabia and Brad Hand were optioned to Triple-A New Orleans on Monday morning.
Sanabia, a right-hander and Hand, a southpaw, were in contention for either a rotation or long relief spot.
Sanabia appeared in five Grapefruit League games, and he made two starts, the most recent on Saturday against the Nationals in Viera. He had a 5.14 ERA in seven innings.
"Sanabia did a nice job," manager Mike Redmond said. "He just needs to go down there and prove that he can stay healthy and take the ball every five days. That's most important for him."
Hand made two relief Grapefruit League outings, giving up four runs in three innings with five walks and two strikeouts.
The main candidates for the fifth-starter spot are Wade LeBlanc, Kevin Slowey, Tom Koehler and John Maine.
Sanabia and Hand were among nine players the Marlins sent to the Minors on Monday.
The team also optioned right-hander Evan Reed and outfielder Kyle Jensen to New Orleans.
Right-hander Sam Dyson, lefty Edgar Olmos and outfielder Marcell Ozuna, who is ranked the organization's No. 7 prospect by MLB.com, were optioned to Double-A Jacksonville.
Right-hander Jordan Smith and catcher Wilfredo Gimenez were re-assigned to Minor League camp.
Ozuna, a power-hitting right fielder, is projected to be in the outfield with Christian Yelich and Jake Marisnick at Jacksonville. Ozuna, Yelich and Marisnick are ranked the club's Nos. 7, 2 and 3 prospects, respectively, by MLB.com
Ozuna was impressive, batting .364 (4-for-11) with one home run and four RBIs in seven Grapefruit League games.
"This has been good," Ozuna said of being in big league camp. "I learned how it is to be here."
Redmond was impressed with the power of Ozuna and Jensen.
"We got them some at-bats in big league camp, and they did a great job," Redmond said. "I think the great thing for me is, obviously, we talk about the big number, 74 guys [in camp]. But, what's good for me is, I got to see a number of these guys play -- alot of these guys that the organization considers some of our best players.
"It's good for me to see these guys and what they can do, and what they need to continue to work on."
Polanco resting oblique strain
JUPITER, Fla. -- In a best case scenario, Placido Polanco will be back in the Marlins' lineup in three or four days, but that isn't a given.
Polanco, who continues to rest a strained right oblique, last played in a Grapefruit League game on March 1. The team initially called it a tight back, but an MRI revealed a mild oblique strain.
"These can be a little bit tricky," the 37-year-old said.
The Marlins' third baseman took batting practice on Monday, and he's been running. He is not yet throwing.
"There is still time," manager Mike Redmond said. "Hopefully we will get him out here. I'm hoping in the next three or four days. You never know. It's kind of on him. When he feels like he's able to throw and do the things necessary, then we will get him back out there."
Opening Day is April 1 at Washington, and Polanco has been out for 11 days.
There is a level of concern because the season is approaching, and Polanco has had injury issues the past few seasons. Last year with Philadelphia, Polanco had low-back issues, and he appeared in 90 games.
Redmond is encouraged that Polanco is able to do some baseball activities.
"If he wasn't able to do anything, I'd be way more concerned," Redmond said. "He's able to hit, move around, run and all that stuff. I'm not as concerned. Now am I concerned that he isn't able to play yet? Of course, but we just have to give it a little time. We still have 16-17 games left."
Test reveals break in Marisnick's left hand
JUPITER, Fla. -- A second check detected what the Marlins initially feared.
Jake Marisnick, the organization's No. 3 prospect, has a break in his left hand, and the 21-year-old is expected to miss about four weeks.
The outfielder, who impressed during Spring Training, will not be ready for Double-A Jacksonville's Opening Day.
"We did find out that Marisnick broke his hand," manager Mike Redmond said. "He has a break in his hand, so he's going to be out for a while. Disappointing."
Marisnick was injured against the Cardinals on Wednesday when he was plunked by a Trevor Rosenthal fastball on the left hand. An X-ray that day came back negative.
Marisnick has not seen game action since. On Monday, with the hand still swollen and sore, he saw the doctor again for a second X-ray.
The result showed the break.
The Marlins acquired Marisnick from the Blue Jays as part of their blockbuster 12-player trade in November. He was 5-for-11 in eight Grapefruit League games.
Even before the break, the organization's plans were to start him off at Jacksonville, where he is expected to play center field along side left fielder Christian Yelich and right fielder Marcell Ozuna.
Van Horne honored with broadcasting award
JUPITER, Fla. -- Marlins radio voice Dave Van Horne received a special award this past weekend.
At Saturday's "Seventh Annual Reid & Fiorentino Call of the Game Dinner," Van Horne was presented the Sonny Hirsch Excellence in Sports Broadcasting Award.
The charitable event was held at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Fla. It was hosted by Miami Heat television broadcasters Eric Reid and Tony Fiorentino.
Sports and community leaders took part in the banquet which supports Lauren's Kids Foundation and Dade Schools Athletic Foundation.
Heat president Pat Riley was among the special guests.
Van Horne, entering his 13th season as the Marlins' lead radio play-by-play voice, was the 2011 recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award.