6/2/2014 7:37 P.M. ET
Prospect Heaney could make Majors leap soon
By Joe Frisaro and Maria Torres / MLB.com
MIAMI -- It could be any day or even weeks before the Marlins decide to pull the trigger and promote their top prospect, Andrew Heaney, to the big leagues.
Heaney on Sunday made his third start at Triple-A New Orleans, and he was tested. In a win at Colorado Springs, the former Oklahoma State standout gave up six runs (five earned) on 11 hits in six innings. He struck out four and walked one in the win.
Since getting called up from Double-A Jacksonville to New Orleans, Heaney is 2-0 with a 3.18 ERA with 18 strikeouts and one walk in 17 innings.
The Marlins are closely monitoring Heaney and, at least publicly, are non-committal about his arrival date.
"Obviously, he's at Triple-A," president of baseball operations Michael Hill said. "We know he's there."
Heaney, who turns 23 on Thursday, was the ninth overall pick in the 2012 First-Year Player Draft.
Because he threw on Sunday, he won't make his next start until Friday, and it will likely be at New Orleans again.
Not just the Marlins, but most MLB teams are factoring the Super 2 service-time date into their callup decisions. There is no firm day, because it is based on percentages from players across the league in a similar service-time situation.
But it appears Heaney could be in line to arrive around or shortly after June 11.
"I think the goal was always to just give him experience and give him more seasoning," Hill said. "Obviously, he missed a little bit of the season last year and started off a little bit behind."
Heaney missed some time early in 2013 with a lat injury.
"We're just trying to give him experience, and he's handling each challenge very well," Hill said. "We'll continue to evaluate each start and see what's going on here at the Major League level."
The Marlins on Sunday promoted catcher J.T. Realmuto from Jacksonville after putting Jarrod Saltalamacchia on the seven-day concussion disabled list.
Realmuto caught Heaney at Double-A earlier in the season, as well as last year.
"As far as last year to this year, he's got a lot more control of his offspeed pitches," Realmuto said. "He's always had a plus-slider. His changeup has gotten tremendously better this year. He's been able to control it better. We almost went two or three starts without using his slider much. That's how good his changeup got."
Gregg agrees to deal to return to Marlins
MIAMI -- Kevin Gregg is on the verge of making his second stint with the Marlins.
MLB.com has confirmed that Miami has reached an agreement on a Minor League contract with the veteran reliever, pending completion of his physical, which could come as early as Tuesday. The Marlins have not confirmed the deal.
News of Gregg's pending signing was first reported by Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
Gregg was the Marlins' closer in 2007-08, collecting 61 saves in 74 opportunities.
With the Cubs in 2013, Gregg saved 33 out of 38 games. The right-hander has 177 career saves.
The Marlins have been in the market for experienced relief help.
The bullpen is thin on experience, especially after Carter Capps was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right elbow sprain. Capps will be evaluated by Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday, and Tommy John surgery is a possibility.
On Sunday, the Marlins dealt a Competitive Balance A Round pick (No. 39 overall) to the Pirates for reliever Bryan Morris, who joined the team on Monday.
The slot value for the No. 39 pick is worth $1.4 million, and that salary space is going toward signing Gregg, who broke in with the Angels in 2003.
Gregg provides another option to set up closer Steve Cishek.
Once the deal is official, Gregg will report to the Marlins complex in Jupiter, Fla., where he will spend about a week getting ready to join the team.
Morris excited to join Marlins' bullpen
MIAMI -- Bryan Morris, the Marlins' newest reliever, was caught off-guard by Sunday's news of his trade from Pittsburgh to Miami.
But he's glad to be joining a pitching staff that could use his help.
"It was unexpected, but I'm very excited," the right-hander said. "It's a young, energetic team, and I'm glad to be a part of it. I'm gonna take it and try to run with it, and hopefully I get the job done."
The Marlins have been searching for experienced back-end options for their bullpen -- which ranks 23rd in the Major Leagues with a 4.04 ERA entering play Monday -- since reliever Carter Capps was sidelined with a right elbow sprain last week.
This year, Morris, 27, had a 4-0 record and 3.80 ERA in 23 2/3 innings for the Pirates. Manager Mike Redmond expects Morris to help shore up a Miami bullpen that has struggled to pitch consistently.
"This guy's been through it. He's pitched in big games and done quite a few different roles, "Redmond said. "He brings that experience where we can get him out there in any situation -- for me -- and let him go out there and pitch."
Miami acquired Morris in exchange for the 39th overall pick in Thursday's Draft. Jose Fernandez was transferred to the 60-day disabled list and Arquimedes Caminero was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans on Sunday to make room for Morris.
Morris is only in his first full year in the Majors, but he brings with him from Pittsburgh some experience with a successful bullpen.
In 2013, he was part of the Pirates' relief corps that was third in the Majors with a 2.89 ERA. Morris pitched in 65 innings and struck out 37 batters to the tune of a 5-7 record and a 3.46 ERA.
"I think that's what's so attractive when you talk about guys," Redmond said. "That versatility is not bringing up a rookie to try and see what he's got. We know the stuff he has. Now it's just a matter of him getting out there and pitching."
Another advantage to the Morris acquisition is that he has experience with long relief. He logged 12 outings of two or more innings in 2013. He's pitched two-inning outings in four of his 21 appearances this year.
"I don't have a particular role that I'm more comfortable with," Morris said. "I wait until my name gets called and I get ready to go."
Marlins wives edge Rays wives in charity match
MIAMI -- In the fourth annual Citrus Cup charity softball game between the wives of Miami and Tampa Bay's players on Monday, the Lady Marlins beat the Lady Rays, 10-9, for the first time since 2011.
The Marlins' last-minute practice in the Marlins Park parking lot was rained out, but Juan Garciga, Miami's manager of player relations and youth baseball and the Lady Marlins skipper, wasn't worried about his team's chances.
"Some of the girls were a little concerned about that, but thankfully it didn't stop us from bringing our hot sticks," said Garciga.
The contest benefited RBI Miami and Autism Speaks Tampa Bay.
• Saltalamacchia continues to take it easy after being placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list. The 29-year-old catcher came to Marlins Park briefly on Sunday, but he was sent home. It's been recommended that he stay away from heavy lighting and noise.
• Rafael Furcal will remain on his rehab assignment at Class A Jupiter on Monday and Tuesday before he heads to Double-A Jacksonville on Wednesday, where he will continue his assignment. The 36-year-old second baseman has missed the season so far due to a left hamstring strain and a right groin strain. Furcal is expected to debut at Jacksonville on Thursday.
Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. He writes a blog, called The Fish Pond. Follow him on Twitter @JoeFrisaro. Maria Torres is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.