6/18/2014 4:49 P.M. ET
Stanton day to day with left wrist contusion
By Joe Frisaro and Maria Torres / MLB.com
MIAMI -- Right fielder Giancarlo Stanton came out of the Marlins' 6-1 loss to the Cubs on Wednesday with a left wrist contusion in the seventh inning. Stanton is day to day, but manager Mike Redmond anticipates him to be in the lineup for Thursday's opener of a four-game home series against the Mets.
Stanton grimaced and shook his left arm after striking out to end the fifth inning, but he came back to play in the sixth, even catching the final out of the frame. Redmond took him out of the game in the next inning for precautionary reasons. Marcell Ozuna moved over to right field, with Reed Johnson taking over in left.
"It was just getting tighter and tighter," Stanton said. "Even on my first swing, I hurt it a little bit. It will be fine. I'll be there tomorrow."
Stanton initially injured his hand when he crashed into the wall on Chris Coghlan's double in the first inning. But it didn't seem to affect Stanton in the bottom of the inning, when he drilled a 2-1 pitch to right-center field for his 20th homer. Stanton went 1-for-3 on Wednesday.
"I wasn't too concerned [after that homer], but as the game went along, it looked like maybe [his wrist] was continuing to get a little bit sore," Redmond said.
Though Stanton's left hand was swollen after the game, he shouldn't need any tests. The slugger should be good to go on Thursday if he has no issues during batting practice.
"It didn't feel too bad on contact," Stanton said. "Swings and misses were when they hurt a lot."
Stanton's homer off Jake Arrieta -- the eighth of his career against the Cubs -- puts him in a special place in team history. Stanton is the fourth Marlin to connect for at least 20 round-trippers in the first 71 games of the season. Gary Sheffield tops the list with 22 homers in the first 71 games of the 1996 season, while Mike Lowell is second with 21 in 2003. The most recent to reach 20 homers by the 71st game was Dan Uggla in '08.
Saltalamacchia returns to face Mets
MIAMI -- Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia will return from the 15-day disabled list on Thursday against the Mets to catch the Major League debut of Miami's top lefty prospect Andrew Heaney, at Marlins Park.
Saltalamacchia was put on the seven-day concussion list on June 1, and was transferred to the 15-day disabled list on Monday. Since Saltalamacchia had been on the disabled list for more than 15 days, he was eligible to be activated.
In two rehab games at Class A Jupiter -- one behind the plate and one as the designated hitter -- Saltalamacchia caught one full game and went 2-for-7 with a walk and a strikeout. Before the concussion, he was hitting .237 in 48 games for the Marlins this season.
After the 6-1 loss to the Cubs on Wednesday, the Marlins announced four roster moves that will become official on Thursday. They selected the contract of right-handed reliever Kevin Gregg from Triple-A New Orleans.
Gregg, who was signed to a Minor League contract on June 3, threw six innings in five appearances for the Zephyrs. He earned one win and recorded a 3.00 ERA.
Also on Wednesday, the team optioned lefty Dan Jennings to Triple-A New Orleans, and catcher J.T. Realmuto to Double-A Jacksonville.
The demotion of Jennings, who made 23 appearances and allowed five runs (two earned) on 24 hits, leaves just two left-handers in the Marlins bullpen.
Realmuto appeared in seven games in Saltalamacchia's absence and went 4-for-20.
Marisnick adds speed dimension to Marlins' arsenal
MIAMI -- Standing tall and letting natural ability take over has been the secret to Jake Marisnick's success on the bases. One of the fastest players in the organization, the No. 3 prospect has wasted little time infusing speed to the Marlins' lineup.
The 23-year-old swiped two bases on Monday, his first game with Miami after being called up from Triple-A New Orleans to replace Christian Yelich, who is on the disabled list with a lower-back strain.
"Jake is an exciting player," manager Mike Redmond said. "He brings a lot. He brings that speed weapon, which is nice. It's something we don't really have a ton of. I think he showed that when he gets on, he's not scared. He's aggressive. He's going to try to steal bases and get himself in scoring position."
At New Orleans, Marisnick swiped 17 bases in 21 attempts.
The stolen base hasn't exactly been a threat for the Marlins, who entered Wednesday tied with the Orioles with the fewest steals in the Majors. Both teams had 35.
Marisnick fine tuned his baserunning technique in Spring Training, working with third base/outfield coach Brett Butler. The topic of jumps came up, and Butler suggested Marisnick take the same approach that he has in center field and applying it to the bases.
"Bugsy was like, 'What do you do when you get your jumps in the outfield?'" Marisnick said of his conversation with Butler. "I was like, 'Just relax and stand up taller.'"
Butler suggested doing the same on the bases.
"I started doing it in Spring Training. I haven't been getting starts like this my whole career," Marisnick said. "My success rate has been good."
Injured Fernandez still 'in good spirits'
MIAMI -- Jose Fernandez may be out for the season, but he still shows up at Marlins Park from time to time. Sure, he comes in wearing a brace, but the 21-year-old has kept himself in good spirits.
"It's tough on him to be at the ballpark, because he's not able to go out there and compete," said manager Mike Redmond. "He understands the process. It's tough."
After his last start on May 9 against the Padres, Fernandez complained of soreness in his throwing elbow He was diagnosed with a tear in his ulnar collateral ligament and had Tommy John surgery on May 16. The 2013 National League Rookie of the Year Award winner was 4-2 with a 2.44 ERA in 51 2/3 innings over eight starts this season.
Recommended recovery time from the surgery is 12-to-18 months. The right-hander is expected to start throwing again in September.
"He's gonna be fine, and from what I've heard talking to our training people and physical therapists, things are going well," Redmond said.
Marlins, Penny agree to Minor League deal
MIAMI -- A former teammate of Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the verge of being back in the organization.
Brad Penny, a former All-Star and member of the 2003 World Series champion Marlins, has reached agreement on a Minor League contract, pending physical.
The 36-year-old was with the Marlins from 2000-04, and he won two games in the '03 World Series.
Penny last pitched in the big leagues in 2012 with the Giants, where he appeared in 22 games as a reliever.
Penny has a 119-100 career with a 4.26 ERA.
The right-hander from Oklahoma was an All-Star with the Dodgers in 2006-07.
Marlins Park has strongest winds since opening
MIAMI -- The strong storm that whistled through Miami on Tuesday night nearly impacted Marlins Park.
Around the sixth inning, heavy rains and strong winds caused some leaks at the ballpark and forced the closing of the doors to the Clevelander, the club located beyond the left-field wall.
While stadium officials were addressing the storm, the game continued without any interruption. The Marlins went on to beat the Cubs, 6-5.
Marlins president David Samson said the 53-mph winds were the strongest to affect the stadium since groundbreaking in July 2009.
"There were about six or seven places that had to be looked at, but the fact is the game went on, the fans were comfortable, the players were comfortable and the roof performed better than we actually hoped and expected," Samson said.
• Lefty Randy Wolf, designated for assignment on Monday, cleared waivers and elected free agency.
• Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade was a special guest at Wednesday's game.
Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. He writes a blog, called The Fish Pond. Follow him on Twitter @JoeFrisaro. Maria Torres is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.