6/27/2014 11:56 P.M. ET
Soreness not as bad, Hechavarria to throw Sunday
By Joe Frisaro and Maria Torres / MLB.com
MIAMI -- Shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria, one of two Marlins infielders to fall victim to the disabled list in the last week, was in good spirits before Friday's game vs. the Athletics at Marlins Park.
It probably had to do with how he wasn't feeling much soreness in his right triceps anymore. The shortstop will start throwing on Sunday, and he should be ready to return to action in time for the July 6 series finale against the Cardinals.
Hechavarria was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday, retroactive to June 21, after an MRI exam revealed a triceps strain in his right arm. He had spent three days out of the lineup after being scratched before the start of last Saturday's game against the Mets.
Even though starting pitcher Henderson Alvarez, who has a locker next to Hechavarria, was jokingly saying otherwise, Hechavarria assured reporters his triceps was feeling much better than it had when he felt a "small tug" in his throwing arm during batting practice on Saturday.
"Before, I'd make a move and it would bother my triceps, but now I'm feeling good," Hechavarria said. "Right now I'm not feeling any pain or annoyance. I think in a week I should be fine."
With Ed Lucas patrolling the middle of the infield in the meantime, manager Mike Redmond doesn't feel it necessary to push Hechavarria too hard. He doesn't anticipate Hechavarria needing much rehab time, but he still wants to be careful.
"We've got time with him," Redmond said. "So if Sunday he says he's fine to play catch, then great. We wanna make sure that when these 15 days are up that he's 100 percent ready to go."
DeSclafani bruises forearm, exits after three innings
MIAMI -- The Marlins were hoping starter Anthony DeSclafani would go deep into the game on Friday night against the Athletics at Marlins Park. They were desperate to give the bullpen some rest after five relievers tossed seven innings in the Marlins' 14-inning loss to the Phillies on Thursday night.
But the chances of that happening were cut short as DeSclafani was removed from the game in the fourth inning with a right forearm contusion. Manager Mike Redmond said after the game that X-rays on the righty's elbow came back negative. He is day to day.
"The ball hit him below the elbow, and it just stiffened up on him," Redmond said. "He's fine ... but being a young guy, we didn't want to jeopardize him."
The injury occurred in the first inning when DeSclafani deflected Brandon Moss' infield single off his throwing arm with one out. The single from Moss, the fourth batter of the game, loaded the bases.
Redmond and a trainer came to check on him, but after a few warmup pitches, the right-hander was allowed to finish the inning. DeSclafani remained in the game through the third frame. After facing seven batters and giving up two runs in the first inning, he settled down to retire six of the next seven batters he faced.
DeSclafani said he would have continued to pitch because the bruise didn't bother him. He expects to be well enough to throw on Saturday.
"I still had a sweat going and a lot of adrenaline," he said. "I felt like I wasn't affected by it at all, but it's their judgment, their decision to take me out. I'm not going to argue with that."
Brian Flynn, who was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans to give the bullpen a fresh arm, relieved DeSclafani. He threw three innings and gave up two runs on four hits. He was optioned back to the Zephyrs after the game.
Called up to help 'pen, Flynn sent back to Triple-A
MIAMI -- A taxed Marlins bullpen received a fresh arm on Friday.
Coming off a 5-3 loss in 14 innings in Philadelphia on Thursday night, the Marlins recalled lefty Brian Flynn from Triple-A New Orleans and optioned first baseman Justin Bour back to the Zephyrs.
As it turned out, Flynn's stay was just for one game. After he logged three innings of relief in Miami's 9-5 loss to the A's on Friday night, the lefty was sent back to New Orleans.
Miami will make a corresponding move before Saturday's game. A pitcher is expected to get the call. Sam Dyson, at New Orleans, is a likely candidate because he is on the 40-man roster and already had one callup this year.
For the first time this year, Miami is carrying 13 pitchers and 12 position players.
"We needed an arm after [Thursday] night," manager Mike Redmond said. "We had a couple of guys throw a lot of pitches. So we definitely needed an arm here, especially having a couple of young guys throwing the next few days."
In Thursday's exhausting marathon, Miami pitchers combined to throw 227 pitches, including 92 from starter Tom Koehler.
Reliever A.J. Ramos threw a career-most 50 pitches in 1 2/3 innings, and Chris Hatcher logged 44 pitches in 2 1/3 innings. Both were unavailable for Friday.
Miami will try to stay away from using Ramos for the entire series with the A's. At minimum, he will not be available on Saturday either.
Ramos has appeared in 39 games, and he hadn't thrown more than 33 pitches in any outing. The 33 came on June 15 against the Pirates.
Hatcher's career high for pitches is 55 in 1 2/3 innings against the Red Sox on June 20, 2012.
"We've got to get through this weekend, and then we have the off-day," Redmond said. "It just made sense because we know we have a couple of guys who are unavailable."
At New Orleans, Flynn was 7-5 with a 3.56 ERA in 16 starts, and he's thrown 91 innings. His last start was last Saturday, when he threw 5 2/3 innings.
Flynn actually was slated to start for the Zephyrs on Friday, but he was told at about 11:30 p.m. ET on Thursday that he would be heading to Miami. Flynn entered in the fourth inning on Friday, after Anthony DeSclafani was lifted due to a right forearm contusion. The lefty gave up two runs in three innings. He was in line for his first big league win, but that disappeared when the A's rallied in the eighth to tie the score at 5, before putting up four more in the ninth.
Last year, Flynn, who's ranked No. 6 among Marlins prospects according to MLB.com, gained some big league experience, going 0-2 in four starts with Miami, posting an 8.50 ERA in 18 innings.
Stanton further etching name in Marlins record books
MIAMI -- With his laser shot to left at Philadelphia on Thursday night, Giancarlo Stanton boosted his first-half home run total to 21.
In Marlins history, just four times has a player belted more than 21 home runs prior to the All-Star break. The most is 28, set by Mike Lowell in 2003.
Gary Sheffield in 1996 had 25 before the break, and Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla were each at 23 in 2008. Cliff Floyd (2001) and Stanton follow at 21.
"That's just a testament to him," Miami third baseman Casey McGehee said. "It truly doesn't matter what ballpark he's in. He's been on some kind of tear. He's been consistent too."
Stanton is batting .310 and putting himself in elite company.
"It's not just the home runs. He's getting on base, taking his singles," McGehee said. "Look at his average. That's the average of a guy who is strictly a contact guy. He's getting hits and does all that damage, too."
Stanton paces the National League in homers and RBIs (59). Yet the 24-year-old right fielder is sitting fourth in the voting for NL outfielders for the All-Star Game.
Like Stanton, McGehee is posting All-Star numbers at third base. He tops all players in the NL at his position in batting average (.309) and RBIs (47).
Fans can cast their votes for starters at MLB.com -- online or on a mobile device -- using the 2014 All-Star Game MLB.com Ballot Sponsored by Experian until Thursday, July 3, at 11:59 p.m. ET. The 2014 All-Star Game will be played at Target Field on Tuesday, July 15 on FOX.
• Christian Yelich, who went 1-for-5 with a homer and four RBIs in a rehab start with Triple-A New Orleans on Thursday, was scheduled to play once more for the Zephyrs on Friday night. Redmond said Yelich, who was placed on the 15-day DL with a lower back strain on June 16, will travel back to Miami on Saturday. He should be ready to be activated on Sunday.
• The Marlins did not take batting practice before Friday's series opener against the Athletics. Because of the 14-inning game on Thursday night, the Marlins didn't touch down in Miami until 4 a.m. ET, and many players and staff didn't arrive home until an hour later.
Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. He writes a blog, called The Fish Pond. Follow him on Twitter @JoeFrisaro. Maria Torres is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.